California Legislative Schedule: nada till Aug 17th
Here's the latest info as of midnight tonight; call, fax and especially VISIT your district and Capitol legislators' offices during the next two weeks. Do you want these anti-animal bills to become law? No? Then step awaaaay from the computer and act NOW. :D
I'm not posting a bunch of links tonight; got everything from searching here. Nothing is currently scheduled until the Assembly and Senate gets back from their summer break.
- AB233: in ASM Appropriations suspense file
- ACR 74: in ASM Business and Professions ~ both may come back in 2010
- SB135: in ASM Appropriations, no hearing date set
- AB1437: in SEN Health, no hearing date set
- AB1122: to the SEN floor for vote on or after 8/1
- SB318: to the ASM floor for vote on or after 8/17
In case you've forgotten what these bills mean, here's a quick summary of the primary concerns:
- AB1122 - virtually no more pet sales in the entire state... unless you're a shelter or animal control. The bill plays into the whole 'guardian' vs owner language plus a nod toward the anti-animal folks who say 'animals are not ours to enslave.' The Calif Dept of Finance Opposes this bill (per 7/22/09 analysis).
- SB318 - allows personal property to be seized and then awarded, without first going through a trial, to private organizations for resale and profit. Perhaps the very organizations which caused the property to be seized.
- AB243 - also allows property to be seized and then given, without first going through a trial, to private organizations for resale and profit. Again, perhaps the very organizations which caused the property to be seized.
- AB241 - allows HSUS to determine how many dogs or cats anyone can own OR CARE FOR. Will destroy small businesses including boarding kennels and service dog kennels in California. It has virtually nothing to do with poor quality commercial dog breeders; the author has identified only 5 such kennels, but perhaps 1,000 other boarding/service/police/show dog kennels will become illegal.
- AB242 - anti dogfighting bill. HSUS sponsored. Increases penalties and probable number of inmates in state's penal system, thus increasing state costs. The Calif Dept of Finance is neutral but notes monetary concerns on this bill.
- SB250 - mandates every cat and dog in the state be sterilized unless owners buy an unaltered pet license IF local governments CHOOSE to make them available. The Calif Dept of Finance Opposes this bill (per 6/24/09 and 7/14/09 analyses).
- SB135 - the Cow Tail Bill. HSUS tells dairies how to manage their business. Will cause dairy cow deaths since shortened tails would be considered 'animal abuse.' Off to the butchers they'll go...
- AB1437 - HSUS tells egg ranchers outside California how to manage their business. Affects interstate commerce. Affects egg production & sales. Demands hen housing systems proven to increase chicken deaths and chicken illnesses - for out of state businesses.
- AB233 - tax return rebates for buying a shelter animal.
- ACR 74 - resolution with no legal impact. Endorses No Kill animal shelter methods, though promised changes dilute them to the point of non-usefulness.